Skip to main content

Press Code Complaints

What can I complain about?

You can complain about anything that concerns you directly, or on behalf of another person if you have that person’s permission, or as a member of, or in the interests of, a group. You cannot complain on behalf of another person if you do not have that person’s permission.

When can I complain?

You should complain as soon as possible, but within 20 working days after the article complained about has been published. However, if you have valid reasons for complaining outside of that period, the Public Advocate will consider your late complaint on the merits of those reasons.

How do I lodge a complaint?

You can make use of the online complaints form on the Press Council’s website or send a email to the Public Advocate, stating what exactly you complain about, why you believe the publication has transgressed the Press Code, which sections of the Code have been transgressed and what relief you are seeking. It is also helpful if you provide a copy of the material complained about to the Public Advocate.

Can I get advice from the Press Council before submitting my complaint?

Absolutely. Contact the Public Advocate, who will respond to your questions and who represents you throughout the whole process.

Does it cost anything to lodge a complaint?

No. It is entirely free.

Do I need legal assistance?

You do not need legal assistance as the Press Council follows an informal process. However, you may make use of an attorney or an advocate if you deem it necessary.